Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Terrorists Your Game is Through

I know this is COMPLETELY out of left field, but I wanted to post this great article from the Op-Ed section of the Times. It's by Thomas L. Friedman and addresses how the Pakistani people should speak out against the radical terrorists who attacked Mumbai. 

Check it out here. 

I was nodding my head (up and down, that is) the whole time I was reading this. We've heard a lot of people say things like, "there's no negotiating with terrorists". Of course, those people are mostly war-mongers, but I think they're somewhat correct. I think of terrorists as that annoying kid in middle school who is ALWAYS being bad, always bullying people, talking back, and disrespecting everyone - but the worst part about the kid is that he just doesn't care about consequences or other people's feelings. You knew people like that in middle school, right? 

Because he didn't care, there was no way to reason with him. That's how terrorists are. They don't think that what they are doing is wrong, they've just been so indoctrinated in hate. So yes, to a point there is no negotiating with them. But that's why Friedman's article is so important, because it provides a solution that I agree is very viable. That is the terrorists own culture and community acting out against them, shunning them, making them realize that they are not acting for the common good, they are not in tune with the community, and no one appreciates what they are doing except themselves.

I think that's how change will happen in societies where terrorism thrives. It has to start within the society.  Terrorists have to be stopped by their own people, or else they will feel that their actions are valid and they will perpetuate. 

Anyway... I'm going to get back to work now but I just wanted to share that. 

No comments: