Sunday, May 31, 2009

Summer in the city...

... is most glorious. It's warm enough to enjoy long walks, people are having sidewalk sales, there are festivals and flea markets everywhere, and Penn's Landing has started it's series of cultural celebrations. I wouldn't trade summer in the city for anything, except maybe summer on my own private beach. But since THAT won't be happening anytime soon, I'll take summer in the city. I wanted to share a few photos of one activity we did recently: the Italian Market festival.

The Italian Market is an amazing area down 9th Street south of South that's full of little cheese, pasta, and herb places, along with vendors that sell fresh fruits and vegetables. The festival included these vendors, but also added a bunch of craft tents, live music, ready-to-eat foods on sale on the street, and a "stickball" tournament. Yeah, I didn't know what it was either, but apparently it's a traditional game in South Philly. It's much like baseball, except played with cut-in-half tennis balls and broomsticks. That's so people can play without breaking windows. And it's played up against a wall and each level of the wall entails what the hit was - like the lowest tier of the wall is a single.

















And here's a kid playing stickball.



















I know I've said this before but still one of my favorite things about being in the city is that there's so much to see and it's all within walking distance. I encourage everyone to check out Yelp.com or gophila.com to find nearby events. You won't be sorry!

1 comment:

drjeff said...

Love your photos, use the fill flash next time for the pict ogf you