Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bang, Pow, Crash

Oh today is just one of those days - when I feel so overwhelmed with all that's going on in life, and like there's no time to do anything.

In college, my days were planned. I had specific assignments I was working on, club meetings, rehearsals - I knew what my activities were, I knew who my friends were, I knew my major, and I knew what I was working toward. In the real world that kind of structure doesn't exist. And so I have days like today, when I wonder where I'm going with my life and what happened to all my dreams and hobbies and interests. I make long lists in my head of everything I'd ideally like to do: take photography classes, speak Spanish, learn to make jewelry, sing, force myself into a regular gym routine, find a job that I love, volunteer at the animal shelter, decorate the apartment, clean the apartment, find some freelance writing gigs, become a better cook, accrue a more professional wardrobe, blog... GAH it's enough to make my head explode.

I feel as though I have no direction right now. There is so much I'd like to do, as you can see, but I have such trouble prioritizing and finding time and keeping my desires consistent. It gets very overwhelming, like I have a giant post-it note on my brain.

The biggest question I want to answer right now is: What thing(s) am I passionate about and how can I go about making a life out of that? But if I don't try a bunch of different things, how will I ever get an answer?

Boo to feeling this way. On one hand it's exciting to have so many possibilities, on the other hand...

...it's exhausting.

2 comments:

Liz S said...

I totally understand.

Unknown said...

wow. it's like you just read my mind. that' pretty much how i've been feeling lately.

btw, i have no idea how to change my account name to something other than jenny mcghee lol