Friday, September 26, 2008

So You Wanna Quit Your Job

I did it. And I finally feel comfortable enough to talk about it. I gave my two-weeks notice at my job last Monday, which means today is my last day. I've been postponing talking about it because I'm a weirdo and think that somehow I'll jinx myself by making my resignation public. I also didn't want to mention my new jobs lest I also risk jinxing them. How silly. But here it is... in all its public glory.

Alas, my glamorous life as a direct mail copywriter is no longer, and I'm embarking on a new life of part-time jobs and a badly paying editorial internship. But all my new jobs are in Center City, so I won't have a 40-minute commute to deal with! I'm extremely excited about that, and here are some more things I'm excited about:
  • Exploring a new field I think I'll like (Journalism, despite that I've heard it's dying and the pay is despicable)
  • Working in retail... it's a weird thing to be excited about but I liked answering phones in a Dr.'s office so who knows?
  • Working with people my age
  • Being able to WALK to work
  • Having the flexibility to do some stuff on the side... classes? volunteer? anything's possible!

And... now what I'm a little scared about:

  • Strange working hours that include evenings and weekends
  • A drastic cut in my income/benefits
  • Leaving the people I got to know at my job
  • Having to learn 3 jobs at once... all of which I know nothing about

It's all very new and confusing, but I have to say i'm more happy about it than anything. I'm young. I deserve to do some exploring (and even some living paycheck-to-paycheck). I deserve to work in the city I live in, and not spend almost 2 hours each day in a stressful commute.

Most of all - I trust myself and I trust my decisions. And if it doesn't work out... there's always grad school.

No comments: