Monday, March 9, 2009

The Hazy Philly Skyline

The title doesn't mean anything, it's just what I see from my office building window. We're on the 18th floor, which means spectacular views of all the high-rises and the streets below, but also on days like today when there's a wind advisory in effect, we shake, rattle and roll. A lot.

So I wanted to share this article from the NYT (surprise!) Op-Ed section about a new healthcare system that rewards people for staying healthy over a designated period of time, say 5 years. I think this is a really great idea, although as the authors Tom Baker (represent UPenn, woot!) and Peter Siegelman say it would need lots of planning and oversight. Still, they make a good point that lots of young people (ahem... me) don't want to spend money on health insurance that they don't think they need.

I know I need health insurance on a logical level, but I do oftentimes justify not getting it by saying I can wait a year to get a check-up because I believe i'm pretty health overall. I also hate to think that I'm paying into a plan that's helping other unhealthy people and not really benefitting me at all if I lead a healthy lifestyle and don't see a lot of doctors.

With this plan, I'd be rewarded for my overall health, and that's appealing to me. As they say it's an investment, rather than an expense. I didn't wake up at 7AM this morning for a 2-mile jog and NOT expect to be compensated in some way! Sheesh.

As I was complaining about healthcare earlier, I think this is kind of a cool idea. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I have a new article up so check it out if you're so inclined.

No comments: