Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Fuzzy Ears of My Zoey

Today was a sad day in the Scharf house. Our 11-year-old yellow lab Zoey isn't doing very well. Her kidneys are failing, and they're trying to find out why and treat her, but if they can't find anything wrong and the treatment doesn't work, then there's really nothing we can do about it. She won't eat, she's in pain, and she's having trouble getting around, so my parents were weighing the option of putting her down if she doesn't get better very soon. 

I know it's best, but it's hard to say goodbye to someone who's been such an integral part of your family for so long. We got Zoey when I was 11, and she was the greatest dog we could have asked for. She was kind and docile, never barked or growled at anyone, showed lots of affection, loved our family and everyone she encountered, and she also had more intelligence than most of the dogs I've interacted with. 

And as crazy as it sounds, she was like my sister. She's currently in a 24-hour veterinary hospital, and Will and I went to say goodbye to her before we left Yardley and went back to Philly. I gave her a whole speech, as if she was a human. I told her I was sorry she had to be there, but we just wanted to give her the best chance of staying with us as long as possible. And of course I told her over and over that I love her. I felt a little insane, like 'why am I telling such deep things to a dog', but I think all pet owners have some sense that their pet understands complicated feelings like that, and I hope she understood and knew that I meant it all. 

There's still a chance we'll get good news, but I have a hard time expecting that. In the meantime, I hope she's not in pain and I trust that my parents will make the right decision. 

And... sorry if that was totally corny but I felt like I had to write something about the hairiest (but greatly loved) member of our family. 



No comments: